Wednesday, December 19, 2007

There Are Rules

It's been mentioned lately how speed-running SM64 could and will most likely become a pastime for the gamers among us. I'd take it as likely that some of you will do it over the next little while, as I am gone, and your lives are meaningless without me. I'm thrilled, but let me lay down some ground rules:

1. Time must be carefully recorded. The timer starts when you turn the N64 on. Time goes off when Yoshi speaks his last words (You may rush through dialogue)
2. All 120 stars must be acquired (duh). For the sake of consistency, let's all beat Bowser, then go to Yoshi (You may turn the N64 off then on again after Bowser speaks his last words so as to avoid the long ending).
3. All three Bowsers must be beaten.
4. No collaboration. One person, one save file.
5. No guides or help from others. If you forget something, figure it out.
6.Stars may be acquired in any order you desire.
7. No glitching/cheating (Like we even can).
8. Games MUST be done in one sitting. This is as much an endurance test as it is a skill test. If you have to break to walk the dog or feed grandma, fine, adjust the time accordingly. But no deliberate breaks to give your mind a rest. Plan to do it in one sitting.
9. Keep time as precisely as possible.

If you have a problem with these rules, too bad, I won't be here to argue them. But I think they're fairly agreeable.

Good gaming.

-OSK

Stupid Excel.

2 comments:

gbz said...

Sounds fine to me, although I don't know how I feel about skipping the win sequence...

Why don't we keep records of best time at any given star too, time starts when you select it, ends when you touch the star itself.

OSK said...

Won't the timing get cumbersome if you're setting your watc 120 times? The concept's cool, but let me know if it's practical.