Sunday, December 02, 2007

Crescent Island=Sweet

First allow me to proudly introduce DrK's new blog, "Cut Down on the Alfredo Sauce", URL whatswiththebeesuit.blogspot.com (Also located now on my side-bar). This brainchild is a concept blog, focusing on our soon-to-occur adventures in mass videogaming. It's full of ancient (1980s Donkey Kong) jokes you won't get and references to characters you've never heard of; what's not to love?
In the spirit of blogs being born and withering, I was rereading some old "Breakfast With Friends" and "Seventh Notion" posts last night, pathetically realizing that I remember, in crystal quality, all of the inside jokes which have been made and slipped away in the last couple of years. What really interested me, though, were the comments that we left on these posts, as they show the different dynamics of the friend group as things went on. I laughed when I got to the one post J_Verts made where I sent him about 4 angry comments, and deleted them all in embarassment, only to learn that all of those comments were in his email...Awkward. Also, I love when the occassional anonymous user comments on one of our posts, taking our humor much too seriously, and the rest of us are left wondering "Who the hell was that?"
The posts themselves were quite interesting, as I noticed a definite increase in quality of my and J_Verts blogging skill as time went on. Gradually, gone were the days of blogging about how we didn't have anything to blog about and why we wonder why we have a blog anyway, and suddenly we were having fun with it, noticeably anyway.
I have to give J_Verts props, at this point, for initiating the blogging craze in the friend group. It has proved to be an excellent means of communication now that many of us are apart, and even when we weren't it was endlessly (Okay, mildly) amusing.
Now, I know starting a blog doesn't require a ton of work, actually, it is often the product of being too lazy to do other, more productive things. Nevertheless, it has gotten me thinking about the effort required to start something. One thing that made me quite sad while I read our past posts (I didn't read all of them, by the way, I'm not that much of a loser/ have that much time on my hands) was the number of times we came up with epic plans (Road trip?) and then quickly watched it fall through the cracks. I was talking to Donald Duck (the guy some of us know who quacks) the other day, and he said something that really epitomized all of my lost ambitions. " I can stand up in front of the business and make promise after promise. I can have all the ideas in the world, and they'll love me for it. But eventually, they come to me and say 'Mr. [Duck], where's everything you promised us?' You (Referring to me) might be a conceptual guy, but it's the execution that matters when push comes to shove". And it's the execution that I never provide. So, then, I challenge myself- This summer, do the play thing. And I will, because even if it crashes and burns, I'll feel ten times better than if I'd put it off until it was too late.

Determined and Crazed,

-OSK

Timba got owned...But 5 more T.T.s down!

Don't save it for another day.

3 comments:

gbz said...

You're doing time trials without me?? So sad...
:'(

OSK said...

Well, I'm always just running through the courses for fun, and suddenly beat T.T. It's weird. I can stop though... we'eve still got most of them to go.

gbz said...

Whatever...it'll give me something to do when your not around...