Thursday, November 01, 2007

BFTSOB II

So I'm only 2 pages into a plot synopsis of Act 1 of "Rash" and I've already got some slight writer's block. But it's nothing serious (I hope), I don't believe I've written myself into a corner just yet. Then again, it's not writing into a corner I'm concerned about, but rather writing something that's about as interesting as this analogy. Which is to say, not interesting. So I've taken a day off from it. After all, it's just a synopsis, it doesn't mean jack poo if I want to change it. I'm determined to actually write this mofo though, as I've never finished writing anything creative in my life. I mean, I want to so badly when I read a good book or watch a good movie, because everything within the stories seem so real, so concrete. Believable characters reacting in intriguing ways to out of the ordinary situations. To bring back the recurring isolation theme, they create a world. I assumed for a long time that the reason I couldn't create this world was because I wasn't as good or creative as famous writers or hollywood screenwriters, amd while that's largely true, I don't believe it's the reason I'm not finishing things. You see, when any of us read a book or see a movie, we enter it believing whatever the author/actors want us to believe. Why is it that we can watch Star Trek without turning it off because it's not real? It's because we accept the parameters of reality set by the fictional universe, and the only time something becomes bogus is when it defies its own set parameters. In essence, there is no world in the mind of the writer or the actor because they know for a fact that what is happening isn’t real. The world is created by the viewer. So I’m hoping that means that if I write something, it can possibly create a world I myself didn’t envision.
I do fear that my posts are becoming a bit too philosophic, and even though my writings have always had one foot firmly planted in my own universe of philosophy, I miss the days when I would just write about random shit. But in a sort of middle ground, I'll explain yesterday's encounter with Tom. Instead of really learning any music, Tom decided to bow to my request of a GarageBand tutorial, as I had no idea in hell how to use this near-pro program. His justification for this was that all musicians should know how to GarageBand, as it is a key component in composition. Expect to get updates on my crappy attempts to compose in the near future, as I'm sure the formula required to envision song patterns shall remain a mystery to me for a very long time to come.
Speaking of song patterns, it seems to me that every band I find worth listning to has been coming out with music in this past year. At first this seems awesome, indeed, I thought it was. Linkin, SR, Bradd, Matchbox, and soon to be ZOX? If my life were eternal summer, this constant influx of new material would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, I have this pesky little thing called school which takes up 9 months of my year, and due to school, I have had insufficient time to enjoy all of the new tunes which have been showered upon me (For the most part this is a shame, though in the case of Matchbox I wouldn't go so far as to suggest that "Exile on Mainstream" is all too enjoyable. But the title is clever. This has caused me to realize that school really does suck, and has further cemented a desire for summer into my mind. I miss going through 5 albums a day, but most of all I miss the freedom of just chilling with people. Whatever, break is on the horizon, and though I must express my dissapointment that the triangle will be further fragmented over both Thanksgiving and Christmas hiatus due to our overseas counterparts. Whatever, let's say Voyager March.

-OSK

God, I miss marathons.

2 comments:

gbz said...

STOP MENTIONING MARATHONS!
You're making me want them too...

OSK said...

Sorry dude, every metaphor I ever make either represents a marathon or is related to them.

Plus, you know it's all part of my plan to tempt you.