Thursday, August 31, 2006

Why Am I So Sick of Being a Teen?

Halleluiah! "Spin" won a Hugo! Congradulations, Robert Charles Wilson, you deserve it for writing such a magnificent work of Science Fiction that didn't bore 15-year-old readers to death. On a sadder note, it doesn't look like I'll be having Tacos tonight, though I will have my hands on diet Birch Beer (the stuff does not taste like Birch Beer, but since my dad feels like indulgence in foods is bad, I was pressured into getting diet). An advanced apology to Carol, for I have been trying to edit my links and for some reason I can't get your blog to show. I'll figure that out soon.
In any case, I'm not here to BFTSOB. In fact, I'm here to address a question which was recently asked of me (Given, I believe I'm paraphrasing) and if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm shocked. Why am I so sick of being a teen? Well, it's not so much that I'm sick of being a teen, but rather I'm sick of all of us- My friends and I- being teens. It just simply disgusts me how so many teengagers make a huge deal out of their personal lives and interactions when there are such bigger problems in the world. I mean seriously, think of all the time that you waste wallowing in self-pity because you don't have a girl/boyfriend, time which could be better spent making some kind of difference or at least helping out(Friends, please note that this is not directed towards or based on any one person, but teenagers at large)?
Now, since I'm talking about relationships, let me clarify that I'm not at all against them nor do I view those in high school relationships in a condescending fasion. However (and this can be painful, I'm sure), you need to realize that they are just high school relationships. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't be ridiculously close to your high school sweetheart, but don't lure yourself into the feeling that it will last forever (which many teenagers do). If it does last a lifetime, that's great, and pretty cool from my third-person perspective, but we're not even adults yet, we're not experienced enough to know how to perfectly handle a relationship, and chances are that someday it'll fall through. It's a learning process- the more you lose, the less likely you are to in the future. Just don't set your heart on hitting the jackpot on your first (or second, or third) try. That's how your heart not only gets broken, but sets itself into a process of self-cannibalisation (I wonder, could the idea of self-destruction destined from creation be the key to perpetual energy? Probably not.) which causes the "victim" to wallow in self-pity instead of doing something worth-while.
It just seems like we're so jumpy, like we're afraid that anything we rely on could fall through at any time. Well, that's no way to live, especially for a decade or so of your life. I honestly can't wait to be 25 or so, I mean, sure we'll still have issues with relationships and angst (somewhat), but my friends and I (those I retain and those attained anew) will have grown out of most of the immaturities which made us so hard to reach or so difficult to please in high school. To sum it up, I hate how the pressures of the teenage years drive us to such immature levels.

Oh, and I want to be able to skydive.

-OSK

Liv uten utfordring er liv uten mål.

Don't even try to translate that, grammatically it was about as right as port.

5 comments:

moose said...

It's especially disturbing seeing the 11-year-olds with their girlfriends and boyfriends frolicing around and saying, "We're in luuuuuhhhv!"

Little assmuppets.

OSK said...

I don't think "ass" and "muppet" go well together. Ass is so bad, and the muppets are so frelling awesome!

moose said...

Hey, ass and muppet go together. Because muppets are kind of stupid yet so amusing and asses are... ass-ish.

And yes, it IS something I see often, Koopon-boy! >D

OSK said...

No one really on my mind right now, I just blog about relationships because I hate what they sometimes do to teens who either can't handle them or think having a relationship means having a life. I can't promise I won't be interested in a relationship sometime soon, but if I am, I need to make sure my friends aren't left in the dust.

Juicy said...

i was actually just talking about this the other night...im getting sick of just talking about gossip.