Monday, August 28, 2006

Free Will or Not?

Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net

Whatever happened to Pokemon? Yes, it's true, I was a fan. Not because I actually cared at all that I had a Japanese Riachu with more power than any other card I'd encounter, save for your everyday Charizard, but because for me it was a bonding experience. As I assume all of you know, I live in a small community with a handful of kids my age. Despite the fact that I live basically the same distance from them now as I did in the Pokemon days, I still have drifted away from some. Given, there is one whom I'm actually better friends with now than I was then, and I see him almost on a daily basis, and there still is a girl that I enjoy swimming with, playing video games with, and just hanging out in general with, but that's 2 out of 6 or 7. Most of the others are girls, one of which I just don't have much in common with anymore, and the others people that didn't go to school with me until now, so we're not very close.
But then I think back to Pokemon summers, the summers between 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grades when the lot of us would grab our binders full of cards and go into Andrew's, where we'd crash on a a bunk bed (6 kids on two beds, yeah, we were smallish) and sit talking and trading for hours, maybe even throw a good old fasioned game of hide and seek in there afterwards. Dorky or otherwise, it was a valuable bonding experience, and once we "grew out of it" something was lost. In short, I really do miss it and hope that somehow I can reconnect with these friends in the way I could then.

Desire is the product of ignorance. Accomplishment is the product of knowledge and faith in your own abilities. Read 'Cyanide and Happiness'.

1 comment:

Juicy said...

dude, what does the title have to do with any of that?

OMG POKEMON!!! yeah, my friend and i didnt really know how to play so we just sorta made a game up. i was at her house the other day and she still had the cards lol. the funny thing is, we've been friends since 1st grade even though we look like we'd have nothing in common. odd how the two subjects intertwine...
oh, and PS- i so had a holographic charizard