Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Wall Kicks Will Work...Sometimes

This one goes out to Chad. I'm sorry I haven't beat Galaxy as fast as you, but you are kind of a beast, and I'm trying. And by the way, don't be afraid to friend me.

So the desert level is really awesome. I don't get how desert and flying saucers quite go together, but if Shigero Miyamummumummuna says they do, they sure as hell do. Unfortunately this "Shifting Sand Land 2" has deadly quicksand pretty muvh everywhere, so progress is slow sometimes. But then again, this game would be no fun if it weren't hard. It's not yet impossible, but from what I hear from TTBM, it's going to get there, though he apparently ahs faith in me.
We've recently discovered the upgrade which is the transformation into Fire Mario. When Fire Mario, you can throw fireballs by shaking your WiiMote, thus destrying some enemies that you previously could not. This is really cool simply because it is a throwback to the original NES Mario games, in which if you obtained two upgrades you would become Fire Mario, and be able to throw fireballs at enemies. Instead of being just a clever, gimmicky throwback, it is also extremely cool in Galaxy, where you can, for the first time, use the fireball in a 3D scenario. This allows for puzzles involving lighting torches, and presumably burning things eventually. One criticism of Galaxy I saw in a review was that the lighting of the torches was a bit too Zelda. It went on to suggest that Galaxy's drastic departure from the structure of its predecessors had possibly taken Mario too far from his roots. But honestly, these games needed a big change. I'm not sure you could do a Galaxy-structure game again, but it's a refreshing change this once.
Luigi continues to dissapoint, with yet another obvious hiding place. I've really always liked Luigi, and I've been continuously dissapointed as Nintendo has repeatedly portrayed him as a total loser. From making him a psycho in original Super Smash Bros., to then not bringing him back as a regular character in Melee, to making Luigi's Mansion so embarassingly bad, to Galaxy, he's repeatedly been a bummer. Apparently there are also rumors that there will be a Luigi's Mansion 2 for Wii. Not even just another Luigi adventure, but another Luigis' Mansion. If this is true, then that means Luigi (in his girly terror) and his weak vacuum cleaner will be back to once again suck. Great. Pretty soon Luigi will become the most hated Mario character, maybe even passing the likes of Wario and Waluigi.
This gravity thing is awesome. I mean, we actually ave the ability to kick a coconut from one planet to another so that we can use it as ammo against an enemy. OH, and then there's the building in the center of the desert. Basically, you begin at the top of it, and running (upside-down relative to the gamer) you have to move out of the building (through various floors) as the building floods with sand, threatening suffocation. Awesome.
So I'm a little frustrated at my own dormant talent. You see, the Boldergeist terror which we encountered last night was a scarring expereince that, between J_V and I, probably took up two hours, It seemed impossible. However, this morning I awoke and decided to retry it, having somehow enjoyed it despite what should ahve been a traumatizing exerience. In 6 attempts, I defeated him (on daredevil, of course) 3 times. Why couldn't I pull that shit last night? Then I went back to the galaxy with teh star ball and dominated it in one try. Seriously, uncool. I still suck at Manta Racing though.

-OSK

1/17/1973

No comments: