Saturday, January 12, 2008

Becoming the DeK

Generally I don’t like to talk about myself on this blog. Sure, I talk about my video games (Damnit!) and my music, and other assorted interests, but I don’t really like to let you readers get inside my head. This is honestly because I don’t know what the hell is going on up there. For the most part I think excuses like that are just things people say because they don’t want to open up, but I honestly don’t know sometimes. I think I’m coming closer and closer to becoming the DeK and not expressing or addressing my emotions at all.
But tonight got me to thinking. I was placed in the rare (and exciting) situation of having to interact with a mass of people I had never met. This allowed me to partake in one of my favorite activities- Striking up conversation with random people in search of enjoyable company. And I’m not even talking about goofing around just because no one will ever see me again. Although that’s always fun. I was toying with the idea of going by a different name for a while.
Unbeknownst to most people who see me as just goofy (and zany), I actually enjoy being polite and normal with people I meet, without compromising my somewhat insulting, edgy sense of humor. My attempts to find companionship were very successful. Initially, I found myself in a group of four, the other three of whom knew each other, but like me knew no one else at the event. Our alienation was a good reason to stick together, and they were really cool people.
After drifting from that group, I found myself chatting with a guy I had run cross country with, and we talked courses, placements, and best times for a good 20 minutes. I really think XC is a universal language; there seem to be runners wherever you go. We were soon joined by his friend, who proceeded to tell me every hilarious story of kids getting kicked out of their school that he possibly could. The stories in and of themselves were great, but the kid's Italian style of storytelling (hands wildly depicting everything that happens) made them even more funny. Apparently back in the 50s some guys changed the environmental controls in their dorm to create an environment perfect for marijuana production, and an entire floor of their dorm was dedicated to it. Only after receiving heinous heating and electrical bills did the faculty realize what was going on. Another story involved two boarding students creating an elaborate plan to sneak off campus (walking over 40 miles), board a plane, and fly to Vegas to be married. They were stopped mere miles from campus when a faculty member spotted them on the side of the road as he drove to work.
The remainder of the night involved failing on the dance floor with these two bozos, their girlfriend, and another female friend of theirs who kept me from fifth-wheeling. Luckily for me, all the guys were bad at dancing so I wasn’t failing miserably alone, as is so often the case. All of these were cool people, and I was bummed that I didn’t have more time to talk to them before I had to go.
I guess the realization I’ve come to tonight is that it sucks that we don’t really have enough time in life to get to know and hang out with people we usually wouldn’t. So much of our lives are confined to one school, one sport, one job, one friend group, that there must be legions (Yes, legions) of awesome people we would really have great connections to who we’ll never meet or we’ll meet and never see again. Life is so short and confined that you would need to be leading multiple lives at once to enjoy the company of all of the people you’d be great friends with.
One of my main points in “Perception” (My original Isolation post) was that when people like me meet new people, they are often intoxicated by them and don’t see their flaws. And I get that. I’m sure the people I met tonight have plenty of flaws, and maybe I wouldn’t actually want to be their friend if I knew what they were truly like. But it’s really not about them specifically. It’s about all of the awesome friendships you could have that you just don’t. Don’t get me wrong, I love my friends, but you’ve got to wonder what things would be like if you were in a different situation. If nothing else, it’s intriguing.
On another note, I’m going to stop getting on my one case about not being proactive with girls. I often think I’m too picky or too cautious, but I met a lot of cool girls tonight who made me think that maybe my immediate pool of choices just isn’t my cup of tea. Most of these girls were taken, though, so don’t get on my case about not being proactive.
So ends this rare glance into the Klingon’s personal thoughts. I’m sure I’ll regret talking about myself on here soon, but if I never talked about myself, what would I ever have to laugh at as I reread these posts in a couple years?

Wow, I actually stayed on one topic for an entire post. Wow.

-OSK

Cinema, simulated life, ill drama
Fourth Reich culture, Americana
Chained to the dream they got ya searching for
The thin line between entertainment and war

Just stare
Just stare
Just stare
Just stare
And live the nightmare

5 comments:

Juicy said...

dude, Hotchkiss has like the best expulsion stories ever...

and you are by far one of the most optimistic people I have ever known: whenever I meet new people I generally see their flaws immidiatley and have to force myself to stop being so judgemental. And as for lots of cool people you could have known- I get that feeling about college all the time.

dr_koopon said...

"most of these girls were taken"

so... if only most of them were, what about the other ones? Cmon man, be proactive!

OSK said...

You're a dick.

dr_koopon said...

Peace and love man, peace and love.

Juicy said...

oh koops...spreading your manwhorish ways...