Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Meaning of Life

And that's what it is- Peace, Love, and Star Trek... Here you are thinking I'm kidding. No joke. A friend of mine came up with the phrase a few months back, and at first I laughed it off too. Ok, so now you're thinking what a huge loser I am. A Trekkie, in all my geekiness. Well, I won't deny it. Yes, I enjoy Star Trek, and yes, my enjoyment does go to the point where I'm about to have a six-hour Voyager marathon with some friends. The truth is, when I talk about Trek like this, I don't mean the show. Or the books, or the movies...or the insanely attractive actors. I mean the idea. The reason that Trek came into being in the first place- unity. Good ol' Gene wanted to show that there was hope for the human race to unite in a time of segregation, sexism, and additional prejudices so numerous that I can't count them in binary. And in a world of terrorism, hate crimes, and a government so knee-deep in conflict it almost seems that they want to go to war, how is today any different? Really the name of this blog should just be "Star Trek" or "Peace, Love, and Hope" because those three together are the idea of Trek, plain and simple. My title is absolutely redundant.
A pacafist, coward- call me what you will, but if this blog achieves one thing, I hope it is to give any readers the feeling that there is hope for unity in any and every sense. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a Voyager marathon to rock.

1 comment:

gbz said...

thanks for the shout out homedawg!