Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happiness

I told myself that I'd blog every day while I'm on my little vacation here, but unfortunately I was forced to break my promise due to a very busy day yesterday. Oh yeah, and the internet connection in my hotel is $14.99. Per day. Really though, I would've liked to. Needless to say, I've had a lot of time to think about what to blog about in this post. It's funny, though- the more time you have, the less decisive you are. I tossed around a hell of a lot ideas- continuing the story of 'Breakfast With Friends' (though that'll probably come up another time), the state of limbo that our emotions are perpetually caught in, the Darkness (yes Gavin, THAT Darkness), but nothing seemed to really suit.
So I guess it's time to counter the dark tone of last time with a sermon about happiness. And in a way, this does involve emotional flux- We all act as if happiness is just something you can just dish out. We go to the movies, read a book, sing a song, share a kiss, what have you, always looking forward and expecting that we'll gain something from the experience- and we do. But what excatly is it that we gain? Happiness. What is that? The pessimist will tell you that happinness is nothing but an illusion that comes about as a product of desire during a string of small pains, and I can certainly see where they're coming from- As I sat at dinner last night, I began to wonder just if I was really enjoying my meal and company, or if my teeth, slightly aching due to my habitual dental neglect, those two loud guys near us who were quite possibly on a steady path to exceeding tipsyness (though I'm not one to judge, as apparently I got our S&S bro all wrong), and the waiter who seemed just a bit irritable were all bugging me to the point where I chose to escape into the world of a beautiful night and pizza which was heavenly though frelling hot.
Now, I imagine that this seems to come off as uncharacteristically pessimistic of me, but quite honestly I can empathize with the views shared by those with negative views, because the proof the pessimist needs to prove his or her points is incredibly evident in this world, but it is the hidden proof that the optimist sees where others do not.
Maybe I've lost you a little bit. I would be outright lying if I told you that i did not have a tendancy to go off on a tangent, but I kid you not when I say that this makes sense in this context- the truth is that happiness is not a product of escaping evils, but is indeed a real, true thing. I claim this for exactly the same reason that an optimist differs from a pessimist- the optimist sees happiness where a pessimist sees only the surrounding perils. You see, we have this all backwards- happiness is not a product of evils, it is the ultimate good that makes the evils stand out, and we as human beings need to recognize the purity as the cause and not the effect to truly be complete.
So now I've reached the point where if I keep going I'll start rambling. And so, I leave you to your other blogging interests.

Those darn windbags.

1 comment:

gbz said...

yes, another shout out!
and since when have you had such an intimate understanding of how pessimists think?