Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Toss- Up

I felt like kind of a loser for wanting to post twice in one day (I'll admit, there's a somewhat dorky rush that comes with returning to blogging after four months), so I shot some pool for 40 minutes so that it would technically be tomorrow. I know, I'm about as awesome as this analogy. So be it. Trouble is, when you're coming back to the blogosphere ( It's weird, I feel like a total poser whenever I use that term, even though I don't know who started it) you want to post until your eyes bleed green (Saturday night!!! Maybe Sunday though, depending on the family plans), but you quickly realize that you don't actually have that much to share with the world. Oh, the taste of some good-old, farm-churned BFTSOB, just like Grandma used to make. Not to say this is BFTSOB, but I'm probably about to torch all my good material for a post or two. Hopefully not.
First on tap: Dispatch. I've recently discovered my Dispatch collection, and boy, have I been missing out! I'll admit, I went through that stage where I'd rather take some "Us Against the Crown" than lose myself in the masterpiece "Bang Bang" (Technically released under the band name "One Fell Swoop", but it's all Dispatch in my eyes). I got lost, searching for entertainment in a slew of new music types. This was a rewarding experience, as my music collection, and indeed appreciation, has blossomed in the last 6 months, but it made me forget my roots. There's just nothing as perfect as the imperfect harmony of the trio, their seamless blend of acoustic and electric instruments, and their ability to get my adrenaline pumping whilst at the same having a contemplative edge.
Wow, that was a lot of praise. Needless to say, anyone that holes up in the bat cave for the next while will be mercilessly subjected to their musical stylings.

On a different note, I'm developing that script idea. Unfortunately, most of my old ideas seem bland now that I've left them out in the sun for so long. I have no enthusiasm for them. I need something fresh. A comedy? Maybe. Winter Formal gave me the idea to create a lengthy one-act (lengthy, that is, for a one-act) which would take place completely in a lobby setting , in which the audience would watch a multitude of characters, some recurring in appearance, some not, pass through the lobby on their way in and out of a dance. It would be a high school setting, so there would be plenty of laughable teen angst as students experienced relationship turbulence, some characters try to fish for dates, and others just want to get the hell out.
Mocking angsty teens? Seems like my cup of tea. Unfortunately, I'm not positive that I want to go with comedy, or at least the breed of comedy "Prom" (Sweet working title, I know) suggests. Humor can be smart, or humor can be shallow, and there's a lot of "shallow" coming off this idea, maybe even to the point where it's more slapstick than "Museum". I just shivered, in case you were wondering.
Then there's the idea with the horridly lengthy working title "Larry is stuck in time", or "Larry", but that doesn't exactly help me remember the plot. Now, Larry isn't literally stuck in time, but basically everyone and everything important to him seems to always move on in life (away from him) or go away just as he's really coming to appreciate them. He's gone through oodles of friend groups over the years and works alone in an empty insurance building where everyone has been promoted except him (among other inconveniences in life). In a nutshell, Larry is stuck at one point in his life while everyone and everything progresses around him. The only thing that has stuck with him since this began several years ago is (insert name here), the only woman he has ever truly had feelings for. She is a woman who is a masachistic lover, only falling for pretty boys who are bound to leave her broken-hearted in the end. She has never had feelings for him in the slightest, still he secretly loves her. When he learns that she is going away, it is the last straw. He begins to fight his way out of the boring hell his life has become, finding old friends again (those who moved on) and re-establishing ties with them, as well as putting great effort into furthuring his financial position and quality of life. All this he does as mental preparation for his declaration of love to (insert name here) , even though he knows the attempt will be futile. In a sense, it is a tragedy, as he will not get the girl, and will be crushed. Their friendship will be ruined and he will be left to contemplate the consequences of his actions. In another way it will not be a tragedy, as he has now made himself hapier in life in other ways, and also adopted my own "If she doesn't dig you, fuck her" mentality.
That's actually solid. Unfortunately, it comes off to me as a film idea. That's not to say I'm adverse to writing film scripts. Keeping with a theatrical theme, however, I'm flat outta ideas right now (then again, it is 1:20 in the morning. Shit, I have to get up in 6 hours!!!). I'd like to do something with a fixed set- I feel like set changes marr the illusion of reality (unless they're done during an intermission, I suppose), but also something that's dramatic. Involving 3-6 characters, perhaps. Something which is truly a character piece. All I know right now is that the idea of a jail setting, or a courtroom (Now that's a cool thought) appeal to me.
If you actually read all that, thanks. Have any ideas, let me know.

-One of those guys from Star Trek...Ummmm...with the ridges....yeah, one of those ridge guys!

And I should stand up for my friends
Because I believe in them
And if someone puts them down
Why am I silent 'til the end?
You better smile when I say hi
Because I'm smiling whenever you're nearby
Well I guess you don't make a big deal
Out of anything anymore

2 comments:

Gavrich said...

For what it's worth (admittedly not too much, on the grand scale of things), I quite like the title, "Larry Is Stuck In Time." It is rather quirky and offbeat, which I think make it compelling right off the bat. And hell, if a one-act play can get by with the title of "Auto-Erotic Misadventure," there's certainly hope for "Larry Is Stuck In Time."

Kinda Makes me want to write some sort of theatrical piece of my own.

Juicy said...

hahah i wrote a play mocking teen angst once....it was funny, i liked it...